Castle Succession

Well-manicured lawns embrace the three-wing chateau that is the castle. After the more modest original home burned in 1080, the castle was rebuilt on the old footprint in 1117. Two wings were added and the entire structure was made of stone from the Backbone Mountains. Peacocks run freely, and turkey and geese are often seen wandering except for within a tree's length around the royal burial grounds located behind the left wing.

Trees are artfully arranged with plants and hedges of small purple-flowered bushes lining walkways. The overall effect is one of carefully planned sinuous beauty. On a stroll, one would find every few minutes a group of trees with a painted white iron bench beneath them; small ponds are frequently encountered as well.

The grounds cover a large enough area to be considered a small city on their own. There is a smithy, a general shop for the servants, a farrier, two public baking ovens, several farms, a small schoolhouse for the children of the servants, a town of shacks for the servants and slaves who live outside the big house, livestock pens, and a mill. The majority of this is south of the right wing and just out of sight of the castle.